Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 5 - Recipe and book that I've read that changed my views on something

Day 5 - Recipe and book that I've read that changed my views on something

Mini Spiced Cakes
1 stick margarine, softened
1½ c. sugar
1 egg
1¼ c. applesauce
1½ self rising flour
1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. cloves

Mix all ingredients and pour into lightly greased and floured miniature bundt pans, regular size loaf pan, or muffin cups. Bake at 350° about 25 – 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack. Cakes can be wrapped and frozen for 4 – 6 weeks.

DANGER: THESE WON'T LAST LONG!!! My kids' LOVE 'em!!!

Today's post is the hardest so far. I've read so many books it's hard to pick just one that has made me change my view on something. Recently, I read The Confession by John Grisham. It's about a young black man who was wrongly convicted of murdering a girl in his high school. The body was not found before the conviction, but none the less, he was convicted and sentenced to death. Nine years later and several days before the execution, a man walks into a church and confesses. No one believed him until it was too late. The young black man was put to death and the real killer was free. While reading this book, I wondered how many times has this really happened? The death penalty is not something I think about very often. In fact, I never think about it unless I hear about it on the news. I can't say that I'm for it or against it. It just depends on the circumstances of the case. However, the book made me think about not only the victim's family but the convicted's family and how both sides lose a loved one.



I don't want to end this post on a sad note so I'll share a funny story about my grandmother.

Background info: My grandmother has been in and out of the hospital since December. She was recently diagnosed with early stage dementia. She broke her hip July 2nd and has had a rough month. I was visiting her in the hospital when the nurse brought her supper in. She eats a few bites and.....

Gma  to the nurse - I need you to bring me a to-go box

Nurse - Honey, you're not going anywhere, you don't need a to-go box

Gma - Yes, I do. I'm gonna take my salad and eat it for lunch tomorrow

Nurse - Sweetie, do you know where you are?

Gma  - I don't believe I do!

The nurse and I had the biggest laugh and so did gma!


Baby Chef, Army guy, Gma



No comments:

Post a Comment