Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 2 - Recipe and the meaning behind my blogger name

Because of my old and dear friend Nancy (and when I say old I mean we've known each other a long time), I'm posting 2 recipes. She said I needed a "nice salad." However, she didn't say what kind of salad....

Cherry Salad

1 can of cherry pie filing
1 large can of sliced mandarin oranges, drained
1 large can of pineapple tidbits, drained
1 can of  fat free eagle brand milk
1 medium size container of fat free cool whip
Chopped pecans to taste (optional)

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate until cold. This salad is very rich and could be served as dessert.

Brownies

2/3 cup of oil
4 eggs
2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
1-1/2 cups of self rising flour
Chopped pecans to taste (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 13 x 9 cake pan. Mix all ingredients together pour in pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.

Hope you enjoy!

I shared in an earlier post that my daughter began blogging when she moved to NC and she encouraged me to do the same. Being the person that I am, I asked why do you blog. She replied "so you can vent." I don't think I need to vent but I've enjoyed sharing recipes the last couple of days and most of all I've enjoyed the fellowship and comments from my friends and family who have responded.

Now for the fun part....the meaning behind my blogger name.

Baby Chef and I absolutely LOVE Steel Magnolias! I think we've watched it at least 1,000 times! We can quote most all the characters. We even have a friend that we lovingly call Ouiser. I'll share about her another day : ) The characters seem to find humor in the most devasting circumstances and are there for each other through the good times and bad. This is something I try to practice every day. I'm also known for laughing and snorting at inappropriate times.


We may not act like it- but underneath all the fluff, tears (shed and unshed), beyond pulling the "I'm scared of spiders, storms, etc." card, and all of the other things that we do that make us women, and that drive the men that love us crazy, we are as strong as steel. We are tough but we bend and we can never be broken. Although from time to time it feels like it. We are also like the magnolia. We are delicate and beautiful, sturdy and strong, and can outlast nearly anything. With all the changes going on in my life, I felt "The Life and Times of a Steel Magnolia" fit me perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment