Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

I hope everyone is having a great Monday and a Happy Halloween! A few months ago when the stores began putting out Halloween decorations and costumes, I was shopping with Baby Chef when she turned to me and said "Mom, I resent the fact that you never let us go trick or treating." I laughed and said "I think you and your brothers grew up just fine without trick or treating."

I guess maybe I'm terrible in the fact that my children never went trick or treating. I didn't like Halloween as a child. It was always scary and I don't like scary! When my children were small, I didn't feel like it was important to follow the "norm" with trick or treating. We always dressed them up and went to our church's fall festival and they seemed to enjoy themselves.Now that they're grown, I'm discovering all kinds of things about my children. I'm anxious to find out Baby Chef's opinion about our Thanksgiving celebration, which is my absolute FAVORITE holiday!

Here's a great recipe to try tonight. It's not hot like it's name...but it's a wonderful "comfort food" casserole

Firecracker Enchilada Casserole
2 lbs ground chuck
1 tbsp chili powder
2 - 3 tbsp cumin
1 1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 can rotel
1/2 can milk
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 can ranch style beans
1 c. shredded sharp cheese
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
6 flour tortillas

Brown meat and onion. Add chili powder and cumin. Mix well. Put meat in 9 x 13 casserole dish. Layer the beans then tortillas. Mix rotel, soup, and milk and pour on top of layer of tortillas. Sprinkle cheeses  on top and bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees. Serve with chips, picante sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and olives. Serves 6 to 8

No comments:

Post a Comment